Monday, February 27, 2012

Jesus is ~ Comfort

One thing I love about Jesus: His role as our Great Comforter

A verse that talks about this: Isaiah 49:13, "Shout for joy, O heavens! And rejoice, O earth! Break forth into joyful shouting, O mountains! For the LORD has comforted His people And will have compassion on His afflicted."

How I have it in my own life - I am amazed when I look at all the ways in which Jesus has shown Himself to be my Great Comforter on a daily basis! I first experienced this blessing at the age of ten, when I suddenly began to experience significant back pain. It would be three years before surgery would correct the problem, and a total of seven years before the pain would relent completely. However, during this time the Lord taught me to cling to Him in a way that I had never before experienced. He surrounded me with His love and comforted me through Scripture and the words of His Spirit. Then, just as the Lord began to heal my body from pain, I developed Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. After nearly two years of dealing with this illness, I can say once again that I have seen the comforting hand of the Lord everyday. I truly believe that He alone grants strength for each day and joy in affliction. ~ Mandy