Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Importance of Fixing Your Thoughts on Christ and His Word ~ Grace's testimony

Colossians 3:2 says, “Set your mind on things above, not on things that are on earth.”  This is so much easier said than done.  Personally, I’ve always had a very difficult time in managing my thoughts in a Christ-honoring way.  For a while, things were especially bad.  This was close to ten years ago now, but I can still vividly remember what it was like.  I would hang on to the different ways people had hurt me, which led me to become bitter towards them.  I was quick to judge others and to assume the worst of them.  I also spent a lot of time in dreaming of the way things could be and comparing myself to others.  I knew all of this was wrong, that I was sinning against God.  Yet I refused to surrender my thoughts to Him.  As a result, I led a discontent and miserable life.  By His grace, I did finally submit my entire life to His rule.  And I now love Him with all of my heart and soul. 

With this being said, though, it is still a constant effort to keep my mind fixed on Christ.  Every moment of every day there is a continual war in my heart as to what thoughts will occupy my mind.  Yes, Jesus is the Lord of my life, but I am still a sinner forever bent on my own ambitions, in need of a Savior.  Even as I was writing out this testimony on the influence of your thoughts and attitude, my thoughts and attitude were on myself.  Once again I had allowed myself to become distracted from my walk with the Lord.  From doing a lot of reading and studying, it seems that the only way to truly “set our mind on heavenly things” is by staying in the Word and in talking with the Lord every single day.

It is so true that the Bible is “living and active, sharper than any two edged sword.”  And we can never underestimate the power of what God can do in our lives when we know what His Word says.  I have been incredibly blessed to have godly people in my life who have challenged me to treasure the Bible and to commit as many verses as I can to memory.  In times of temptation or trials, it is only God and His Word that will keep me focused on Him.

When I was about thirteen, I got a bad headache that just wouldn’t go away.  We’ve been to dozens of doctors and tried every remedy we could possibly think of.  Yet here we are over five years later and nothing has changed.  I have learned so much through these last few years, I can’t even begin to tell you.  One thing I am realizing more and more is that staying in communion with the Lord is critical to living a life that is pleasing to Him, whether it’s talking to Him about my struggles or praising Him for His faithfulness.  What a beautiful privilege it is to be able to pray to the Lord about our lives!  Another thing I have continued to see throughout the past few years is that there is so much strength and hope to be found in God’s Word.  It’s during the times of pain when I especially need to remember that I have something worth living for.  To be completely honest with you, I often become discouraged and weary.  It’s on these days that Job 42:2 often comes to mind, which says, “For I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.”  I need to be reminded again and again that He is God!  And He does indeed know what He is doing.  He knows when I’m having a rough day, and He is always right there beside me.  He could easily take away my headache if He wanted to.  But since He hasn’t, He must have an even better plan in mind.  Another verse that often comes to mind is Psalm 55:22, which says, “Cast your burdens upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken.”  What a beautiful promise this is!  He will sustain us when we give our burdens to Him.  There is nothing else that even comes close to the peace and contentment that is found in Christ when we offer our problems to Him and fix our minds on His Truth.  

I hold on to the promise that one day we will stand before the Lord and no longer be tempted with impure thoughts and attitudes.  Until then let us hold on to Jesus Christ the hope of glory, always looking to Him, as He is the only One worth looking to.  As Colossians 3:1-2 says, If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.”

2 comments:

  1. Grace, thank you for sharing! You are a blessing! Thank you for the encouragement to rest the Lord and delight in Him all the time! He is wonderful and more than wonderful! He's amazing! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Grace, for sharing the lessons you’ve learned through your struggles. I am reminded of 2 Cor. 10:3-5 ~ “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” We are only mighty through God.
    All because of Christ~
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete