Thursday, December 4, 2014

Living in Moment-by-Moment Obedience ~ by Elizabeth

When I think of moment-by-moment obedience, wholehearted surrender comes to mind. "Then Jesus told his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.'" Matthew 16:24-25

Another thought comes to mind, my exchanged life with Christ. Instead of controlling MY life, HIS life is living in and through me. "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

Living in obedience to Jesus entails having a listening and quiet heart before the Lord throughout the moments of each day, with a readiness to say "Yes, Lord" to whatever He asks of you! Many times for me a quiet heart means turning away from distractions, casting my burdens on HIM and giving Jesus my undivided devotion.
I love the quote, "God is God. Because He is God, He is worthy of my trust and obedience. I will find rest nowhere but in His holy will..."

Here are a few thoughts that have been helpful to me along the way:

~ Every decision made in obedience to Jesus matters even when it feels little. Obedience always opens the door for more joy and a closer relationship with Him. Disobedience always fills me with guilt and my fellowship with HIM is hindered.

~ When He is asking me to obey, it helps me to remember that Jesus knows what is best for my life and I do not.
He is completely trustworthy in each moment of decision. 

~ Obedience does not fit into a nicely neat package. Sometimes a decision to obey comes up quickly or unexpectedly. Each day there are new opportunities to say "Yes Lord."

~ Living here on earth is not about me, my comfort, or the applause of man, but it is about bringing glory to Jesus in all that I do and advancing HIS kingdom here on earth!
~ Jesus has brought me into this world "for such a time as this". He has purposes specifically for me to fulfill.

I am reminded how Jesus related to HIS Father in submission and obedience in these passages: 

"For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment--what to say and what to speak." John 12:49
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." John 15:9-11
Obedience to Jesus brings me unspeakable joy, HIS peace, the fear of God, a sense of HIS great love and that I am fulfilling HIS purposes for my life. 

I love these verse's from John 17:4-5 where Jesus expresses to his Father that He has accomplished all He was asked to do. How I want this to be true in my life!

"I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father,glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed." 
 
Together may we take seriously the moments of each day, knowing they count for eternity and the glory of HIS name. What a incredible gift to walk with Jesus in HIS presence moment by moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment