Thursday, April 3, 2014

Serving as Unto Jesus ~ by Margie

Colossians 3:23, "Whatever you do, work heartily, and for the Lord and not for men..."
 

Most days I really enjoy serving my family at home, yet for many years I did it in my own strength!  How much better it has been since I kneel at the beginning of most mornings and pray something like "Lord, what I do this day, I do for You. Help me to serve You with joy and may You get the glory."  Life lived in this way is much more satisfying! I am now not just doing things to check them off my list, but to serve Jesus and diligently (hopefully) accomplish the tasks that He has given me.  What a difference!

Some days when I am more tired than others,  the verse that has encouraged me so much is 2 Corinthians 12:9,  "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  How wonderful to live knowing that He will give me His grace, and that in my weakness He is strong!


Before a conference we were attending at a small church, the pastor's wife was cheerfully setting out food for us all.  I commented on her joyful attitude about serving.  Answering me, she spoke words I will never forget.  She smiled at me and said, "The Lord's work is never burdensome." 
What an impact her words have had on me!  I have repeated them many times.  And I am asking Him to give me that attitude about what He gives me to do.  All that is done for Him is never lost.  If I make a nice meal, and nobody notices or comments, but I've done it for the Lord, it's okay.  If He is pleased I can have joy.
If we have dishes, that means we had food.


 Thank You for these dirty dishes, Lord!  If the house gets dirty or messy, that means there are loved ones living here to dirty it. Thank You for them, Lord! Jesus, help me to have Your mind and perspective on things!

There is a poem that begins:

"Only one life, will soon be past,                       
                 Only what's done for Christ will last."
We all have many tasks to do each day.  Let's live our lives serving as unto Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Margie, for you sweet and encouraging words. Love in Christ, Heather Haas

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good word that I needed to hear today. I could almost hear your sweet voice, Margie, telling this to me :) Thanks for the joyful reminder....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treasured words from a treasured woman (my friend!). Thank you, Margie:)

    ReplyDelete