Thursday, February 6, 2014

Dependence on God ~ by Amy Vest


Stop and let this soak in:  You are totally dependent on God. 

It is not little, partial, or huge – but, TOTAL – dependence.  It is dependence on Him for the next breath, spiritual salvation and life, grace to do what we cannot do on our own, His hand to work in our situations, etc.  When you recognize this, there is a deep peace that results. 

I have found this so real in my own life.  When I realize that I am desperately needy and cannot do anything on my own – and that God is all-sufficient - I am able to lean fully on Him and experience His beautifully full supply.  This is how the Lord designed it – so that we would be driven to Him.  It is there that we are satisfied and He is glorified.

I love the way Jesus in John 15 compares Himself to a vine and us to a branch drawing our life from Him as our source! 



“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
”  (John 15:5)  

 
{Take a deep breath.}  It is not up to you to strive to become something that only God can make you or do what only He can do.  He has created and called you to rely on Him to do the work in and through you as you rest in surrender and obey by His grace.  This reality will transform your life!  It continues to transform mine…
 
3 ways the Lord is helping me to live in this reality in daily life:

~ Word – I need to be daily coming to the Word of God – the Bible – realizing that I am dependent on His Words vs. my own thoughts for Truth, knowing that He is infinitely wiser, and acknowledging that I don’t have all of the answers.  I am in constant neediness of His Truth in the midst of emotions, thoughts, culture, and ideas – and I need to be looking to His Word for food for my soul, direction, and wisdom. “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matt. 4:14)
 
~ PrayerPrayer is showing my dependence on God – that I am relying on Him for what I need. “Lord, I need You this moment – and every moment.” Prayerlessness can be a sign that I think I can do things on my own.  We are called in 1 Thess. 5:17 to live a life of prayerful dependence on God, “Pray without ceasing…” Live looking to Him, bringing all things to Him, and asking for His grace - and watch Him answer in His powerful ways.

~ Daily Life
– In His love, I have seen Him reveal the reality of this dependence through my weaknesses, situations, etc.  and this can be a beautiful thing when it causes me to look to Him saying, “In this situation, I can’t respond as I should in my own strength, but I depend on You for grace, Lord.”  He loves to show Himself strong on our behalf!  “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.”  (Phil. 4:13)

Today, look away from self to Christ and let your need drive you to Jesus to drink of His sufficiency!
 
He loves to show His sufficiency as we come to Him in our neediness.

Moment-by-moment, may our heart’s prayer be: “Lord, I am needy.  You are sufficient.  I live resting in my dependence on You.”

2 comments:

  1. This was SO perfect for me to read today, Sis! Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw... Praise the Lord, Monica! I need Him and this Truth so much, too. <3 Our Savior knows what we need so beautifully... I love Him! Hug!

      Delete