Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Transformed by Truth ~ by Amy Vest



I want to be transformed, don't you? 

I want to think like Jesus thinks, see like He sees, and love what He loves.

Listen to the amazing call in this verse, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind..." (Romans 12:2)

Transformed.


God's call for you is to not be conformed to this world, but transformed by His Truth.

What is Truth?  "...your word is truth." (John 17:17)  Truth is found in His Word, the Bible.  By getting into His Word, you discover what is truly Truth - Jesus, the living Truth, and His Word, the written Truth.

As I am in His Truth - His Word - (through reading and study) and have His Word in me (through memorizing and meditating/thinking on Scripture), He renews my mind, works in my heart, and transforms me by His Spirit.

Do I want this?  Yes, please!  I know you do, too.

So, how can this work in real life?

Here is an example:
You wake up feeling down and battling doubts about if God has a plan for your life.  HERE YOU HAVE A CHOICE.  You can listen to your feelings and doubts, and let the enemy, culture, and other voices bring you deeper into that struggle (being "conformed to the world"). Or, you can listen to Jesus and let Him renew your mind and transform your life (being "transformed by the renewing of your mind").  How?  You can open your Bible and find a verse like Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."  You can read the verse, fix your mind on its Truth, ask the Lord to apply it to your heart, choose to believe it, and walk in the reality of it.

As you walk in His Truth, you will see His increasing transformation unfold in your thoughts, heart, perspective, actions, and so much more!


Doesn't that sound good?

Yes, Jesus brings such transformation through His Word, by His Spirit, in a way that flows out in your life.

What are practical ways to be renewing your mind?
~ Read the Bible
~ Study the Bible
~ Memorize Bible verses (We will give you some fun practical ideas later this month!)
~ Meditate/Think on Scripture
~ Have Scripture up around your house and places you will see it
~ Listen to sermons from the Bible
~ and more!

Then as we are in it and it is in us, we need to receive His grace to believe it and walk it in a way that impacts your life and how you live it.


"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6

It is daily having Scripture in your mind and choosing to trust Him over your own thoughts, ideas, and comprehension.

Recently there was an area where I was trusting in my own understanding, thoughts, and emotions, and it was leading to bondage in my life.  As I renewed my mind with His Word, in dependence on His Spirit, I began experiencing freedom.  I experienced for myself the reality of John 8:31-32, "If you abide in my word... you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”   

I need to be in the Word daily.  Daily I have countless thoughts, feelings, and messages thrown at me.  When we are soaking in the Word it becomes a filter for the other things we encounter - to help us discern what is true.

My feelings tell me: "I am condemned." 
Jesus tells me in His Word: "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1)
My thoughts tell me: "I can't do it."
Jesus tells me in His Word: "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."  (Phil. 4:13)
My culture tells me: "I have to be a certain way to fit in."
Jesus tells me in His Word: "I am in "...His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved." (Eph. 1:6)

I need to listen to Jesus in His Word tell me the Truth.  Then I need to receive His grace to walk in it.  As I do, I am transformed. 


How about you?  I would encourage you to think of one area of your life that you are struggling in right now.  Go to the Word for a verse that you can keep in front of you, fix your mind on, ask God to apply to your heart, and live in the reality of today.

Transformation is waiting.

Yes, we all need to be transformed by His Truth every day of our lives.  As we do, we will increasingly experience in our lives the transformation He calls us to in Him.  Then listen to what the rest of the verse promises, "...that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."  (Romans 12:2) 

Friend, run to His Word, let His Spirit apply it to your heart, and be transformed by Truth.

I am running with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment