Thursday, July 3, 2014

Devotions - Growing From Five Minutes to Two Hours - One Step at a Time - Part 2 ~ by A Sister in Christ

5. Reading, Cherishing, Digging, Asking, Searching, Keeping, in God’s Word 
      With my heart prepared, focused on, and in awe of God, I come to the best part, time reading HIS WORD.  Beginning with acknowledgement,
             remembering,
                        confessing,
                                    my need for HIS
                                             guidance. 
Psalm 119:18 “Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wonderous things out of thy law.” 
Behold (to look, to regard, show regard to, pay attention to, consider), not something to do casually.
     This time of fellowship has seen many different ways of being with Father in HIS Word.   If I had to pick just one helpful nugget to share it would be this.  I read until I am fed, until my time of fellowship is satisfying.  Sometimes I don’t read very far.  As I am reading something will touch my heart, will make me ponder, ask a question, so I stop, camp out, and dig; maybe it will be cross referencing, which will lead to the Strong’s Concordance, Vine’s Dictionary, or a commentary. 
                                                Listen to the still quiet voice in your heart. 
                                                It is HIS Spirit that will lead you into all Truth,
                                                the previous mentioned helps are just tools.
Sometimes I am so encouraged by God’s Words that I will stop and pray the Words for me or others.  Other times, I will stop to thank God for things HE has taught me, and remember how HIS Word has changed me.   Reading HIS Word is not something to get through, an item on our to-do list.  It is time to receive Words of Life, to be edified, to receive faith, "faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God", a time for our minds to be transformed.

Romans 12:2 , “And be not conformed (to fashion (one's) self according to this world, -to me the idea is to masquerade, to wear a mask over who I really am) to this world: but be ye transformed (the Greek word, metamorphoo, which we get the word metamorphosis from, think of the transformation of a butterfly.  We are taken from an earthly perspective, to a heavenly, to God’s perspective.  A caterpillar will never become who it really is unless it is transformed - metamorphosis) by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

     Vine’s Dictionary note: being outwardly "conformed" to the things of this age is contrasted with being "transformed" (or transfigured) inwardly by the renewal of the thoughts through the Holy Spirit's power.
Online Bible resources can also be an incredible help for you to access various translations, Bible on audio, study tools, etc.

     Share with others what God is teaching you.  Hopefully they will have something to share with you too.
6. Journaling

     An influential believer in my life, strongly encourages journaling what God shows you during your quiet time.  This has been a time to meditate, chew the cud, and in writing down what I learned it takes on a richer, deeper meaning.

7. Prayer

1 Thessalonians 5:17 says, “Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly];” (Amp);  JB Philips says, “Never stop praying.”  The Strong’s, gives an expanded vision to the word, ceasing - "without intermission, incessantly, without ceasing"

     A note of encouragement, most people who pray, say they spent years learning how.  You don’t have to be good at it, to do it.  It has been my lack, my inability, my frustrations at times, which have caused me to learn more, seek, read, ask. 
Learning how to ask, “Lord I ask…,
                learning how to do warfare, bind, loose, hedge of protection,
                                how to bless,
                                                how to intercede.

     I am still in the learning how to pray stage.  Where ever you are, be encouraged with each step.  One help that I enjoy is reading written prayers, of mature believers.  The important thing is to
keep praying,
                keep asking,
                                keep seeking,
                                                 keep sharing your heart,
                                                                keep the communication with your Father,
                                                                                open, dependent, real, intimate, special, precious.

8. Concluding thoughts
     Two thought to leave with you:
                First, remember this has been a journey, you may not apply all of it in a summer.  Start out with what God quickened your heart with, and be patient.  
Like a baby lying down with their face against the mattress, they look out and see an adult walk into the room, and think to themselves, I want to do that,
 I want to walk,
                I want to talk,
                                I want to be able to get dressed,
                                                 I want to feed myself,
                                                                I want… 
                                                                                and they do,          
but first they need to learn how to strength their arms, so they can pick their head up off the
mattress.  When a baby takes their first steps, it doesn’t look so good,
                they hesitate,
                                they wobble,
                                                they fall 

                                                      down. 
What do we do?
                We clap,
                                we praise them,
                                                we hug and kiss them. 

Know that God your loving heavenly Father is pleased with your steps even though they may not look good to you, they do to HIM.

 A final thought from Ecclesiastes 12:1a;
                                “Remember now (today) thy Creator in the days of thy youth,”
 
(KJV).
     If there is an older person or grandparents in your life they may tell you that, they can’t remember what they did yesterday, but they can remember things from their youth.   I remember an elderly person in my life, could quote things she memorized in school, but not remember something she just said.  The things that you are putting in your life now/today, in your youth, will stick with you.  These are precious days, and they are short, enjoy filling them with God.

2 Timothy 4:12 “Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers,
                in word,
                                in conversation,
                                                 in charity,
                                                                in spirit,
                                                                                in faith,
                                                                                                in purity.”

No comments:

Post a Comment